Compare Listings

Ask Us: Type Of License Needed To Be A Property Manager In California?

Where readers ask, and we (the community) try to answer:

To folks reading this blog:
In California, do you need a real estate broker’s license in order to be property manager? Or just a real estate agent’s license? Or no license needed?


As far as we know, and you’ll want to consult, if you plan on having your own office and essentially starting a new business you will need a Broker’s license. If you plan on “hanging” your license at a Brokerage and working for a company that already exists and that company has a Broker’s license already, you will only need an Agent’s license. You definitely need one or the other, so why not get both!

Hope this helps….



Related posts

Housing Affordability and Market Corrections

A look at San Francisco Bay Area housing affordability trends over time and how they intersect with...

Continue reading
by alexclark

Buying A Home In San Francisco – Step 2: Get New Listings Fed To You Automatically

Yesterday, we educated you on the first and most important step in the San Francisco home buying...

Continue reading
by alexclark

Stump The Stammtisch, Where Readers Ask, Experts Answer: "If A Shooting Occurred Where The Victim Died…"

I used to do a thing a long time ago called "Stump the Stammtisch", where readers could write in...

Continue reading
by alexclark

7 thoughts on “Ask Us: Type Of License Needed To Be A Property Manager In California?”

  • David

    April 13, 2010 at 12:21 pm

    Thank you so much for this information.

  • grim

    April 14, 2010 at 8:48 am

    You wrote PROPERTY MANAGER,is that what you meant? I have found nothing that says a property manager requires a license. What are you looking to do?

  • Sophie

    April 14, 2010 at 9:34 am

    ditto grim. I’m confused. What do you mean by property manager?

    is a local landlord with – say – 24 units in 10 buildings – a property manager?

    or do you mean offering your services to landlords to sign leases and kick tenants out on their behalf?

    • thefrontsteps

      April 14, 2010 at 10:40 am

      We understood the question to mean a person that offers their services to a property owner in exchange for compensation and helps find tenants, sign leases, end leases, collect rents, etc. Not somebody that lives at a property and “manages” the property itself.

  • Charlie

    April 14, 2010 at 11:30 am

    I was actually just on the phone with the DRE about this very issue. If you do not handle client funds (ie: have a Trust Account), then a real estate license is not needed for property management. However, it’s a very good idea to have one, so that you’ll know all the statute.

    I hope this helps.


  • grim

    April 16, 2010 at 8:13 am


    Would you bes o kind as to point me to the page or give me a contact for this? I’d like to see the specific requirement and where it is codified. If it’s too much of a hassle – no worries!


  • Charlie

    April 16, 2010 at 8:53 am

    Hi Grim;

    I couldn’t find it myself and that’s why I initially called the DRE.

    Good Luck,



Join The Discussion

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Follow theFrontSteps

Get the latest posts delivered to your mailbox: